POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : 64-bit Pov-Ray rendering : Re: 64-bit Pov-Ray rendering Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64-bit Pov-Ray rendering
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 31 May 2004 15:39:36
Message: <40bb89f8@news.povray.org>

> Their observation that POV-Ray yields slightly different results is correct.
> Actually, this is the case whenever you compare renders on any two different
> processors.  It is also true that comparing a 32 bit and a 64 bit compile on
> POV-Ray on an AMD x86 system running in 64 bit mode yields differences.

But what is the source of these differences?
They definetely don't look like caused by different rounding, or by a different
random number generator or anything like that.

Actually it looks more as if different setting for photon mapping where used.
If the settings where identical I suspect there might be a bug in the photon
mapping code.

Lutz-Peter